When I'd been in Northern Ireland I'd gone out very little. Even a 'big' night out ended at 1am when the bars shut.
Boy was Germany different.7pm'ish
- roommate and I crack the first beers of the evening.7:31pm
- start getting ready.7:38pm
- finish getting ready. Spend the next forty-five minutes drinking beer as roommate preens himself in a manner more befitting the female of the species.8:30pm
- hit the NAAFI bar. (Not in a literal sense I might add - that usually happens later).
Spend the next hour drinking beer and playing pool. According to the 'experts' nothing gets going down town till 'later'.9:45pm
- first yawn.10:15pm
- arrive at local German hostellry. Order pint in bestest remembered German phrase. "Sorry love - can't understand a word you're saying," is the reply. Bar staff all Squaddie's wives.10:42pm
- am introduced to the game of 'Nails'. This involves hitting nails into a very large log with the wrong end of the hammer. 10:46pm
- first 'Nails' injury of the evening. Still sober enough to recognise that game involving precision, sharp object and large hammer probably best not played when drinking.11:35pm
- second, third and fourth yawns in quick succession.12:25am
- informed by bloke in the know that the night club next door is now open but it's dead in there.12:36am
- venture into nightclub. Bloke in the know was right - more life in a smoked haddock.01:12am
- introduced to the delights of Vodka RedBull (this was the mid 90's and still a new phenomenon at the time).03:15am
- haven't felt so awake in years.04:00am
- dragged out of nightclub by roommate and others 'desperate' to get home.04:10am
- they can't have been that 'desperate' as we are now sat in a German brothel.04:11am
- spurt large mouthful of beer over barmaid after being told the price of a drink. Realise I just coughed the equivalent of fiver over her. Consider asking her if she'll wring her top out into my glass and think better of it.04:30am
- blokes return satisfied. Suspect the ladies were less so.05:15am
- tucked up in bed.06:30am
- maybe I drank a little bit too much RedBull.