META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Tragically Patriotic?


In this day and age many see pride in your country as a fault. I disagree and don't care. I'm proud of my country and what she stands for. Today I read the following quotation and while I like to post my own words it seemed to sum up for me the last few weeks:

"Because the security of tomorrow was gone, the long binding compulsion of past and future took possession of the English mind. Not to yield ceased to be heroic because to yield had become impossible."
The Empty Room by Charles Morgan.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am proud of my country when I believe in all she stands for. That comes from a pride in what she stands for, the sharing of beliefs.

However, I'm sure you would agree that blind patriotism is not a good thing.

2:37 pm  
Blogger Andrew said...

Soldier,

Thanks for stopping by and reading. I am fascinated with British society and culture. I with unabashedly admit I am hooked on Eastenders and Coronation Street. (I know, I know. Don’t admonish me for that.) I am also fortunate to have been able to travel to London twice and experienced some wonderful times there.

My father is infatuated with history of the royal family current and past. He has a library full of books on the subject. I am also pretty well versed in the subject as well.

Anyways, keep up the great writing and I will look forward to reading future posts.

Jonathon (Grumpy)

8:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs