META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Broadsword Calling DannyBoy


Anyway after my brief sojourn into the weird and wonderful names that we have for cups of tea let us return the 8 or so years to Northern Ireland and my Signals Course.

You might think that talking on a radio set would be quite similiar to talking on a phone. You'd be wrong. For a start only one person can speak at a time. This is something I think should be optional on mobile phones. At least then I might get a word in edgewise.

The other main difference is that there is often more than one person listening. This means that if you say something stupid then lots of people can hear it. And people often say stupid things on a radio net.

For this reason I've always felt very self-conscious talking on a radio net.

I've always tried to remember something that they taught us on the course.

Press - the button on the radio set.

Pause - just to make sure you're not about to say something stupid

Speak.

I've found this to be a useful technique in everyday conversation - Press, Pause, Speak.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pipi Longstockings said...

The pause button in my brain/mouth/tongue doesnt seem to work...ever. I need to call some technical service

5:21 pm  
Blogger *Monica said...

Once, I had the pleasure (snicker) of communicating with my then husband over a ship to shore connection. After every sentence, I had to say "over". I spent most of the call laughing.

11:19 pm  
Blogger fineartist said...

Are you ONE of THOSE who purses his lips together before he speaks?

Oh no, you said PRESS, pause, speak. Oh if it were that simple.

6:16 am  
Blogger DC said...

Only Time Will Tell - the funniest is when someone is transmitting and doesn't realise it. Especially if they are slagging their boss off at the time.

Mo - I had something similiar with Mrs Soldier when I was in Iraq (which we'll get to eventually on the blog). We had 20 minutes a week talk time on a sat phone but there was this really long delay. The only way to stop talking over each other was say "Over". She found it funny as well.

8:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs