META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Dinner


Just having sat down to a delightful roast dinner cooked by Mrs Soldier* it has reminded me of the food I ate in the cookhouse as a young private.

For the amount of money - £1.77 ($3.2) I think the army did very well. We had a full cooked breakfast - bacon, eggs, sausage, beans and fried bread. Lunch would bring 'something' with chips, or maybe a pasta dish. Dinner would bring meat of some description, a choice of vegetables and potatos.

I'm sure all of this sounds delightful and to be fair it wasn't bad. At least it wouldn't have been every once in a while. But it was still mass produced, overcooked or undercooked food. It certainly did nothing to tempt the tastebuds and was often sorely lacking in flavour. For the amount of money the cooks had to play with I think they did they well.

Although I eat in the cookhouse every now and again I couldn't go back to three meals a day there.

* - for those of you who are now perceiving me as a typical unculinary male last night I cooked Mrs Soldier a Thai Green Curry that didn't come out of a jar.

2 Comments:

Blogger *Monica said...

I am glad you ate well, one of life's joys. Especially if your family was present, that makes caviar out of crackers.

1:42 pm  
Blogger Moby said...

Mmm... Thai green curry... Yummy yummy yummy...

4:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs