META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Monday, September 19, 2005

On The Radio

It was about this time in my tour that the army decided it was time for me to do another course. Having previously taught me how to purify water, tie knots and blow things up I was now going to learn the arcane arts of signalling.

I must admit at the time the thought filled me with nothing but dread. The equipment we were going to be learning how to use was much older than I was. And that's quite old. I was going to have to learn by heart frequencies, battery lives, codewords, callsigns and a whole host of other things that are about as interesting as they sound. I was going to spend weeks in an airless classroom watching the dreaded PowerPoint presentation and trying my hardest to stay awake.

At least it was something new..........

5 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Whatever happend to Semaphore?

12:14 pm  
Blogger *Monica said...

Beats hill running.

10:22 pm  
Blogger DC said...

Greavsie - maybe you never heard of the great Semaphore scandal. Following a "risk assessment" into the "potential dangers" of someone catching a flag in an eye all semaphore activities were put on hold. A "working group" was set up to study the risks. 10 years, 2 working groups, 6 committees and "a study" later they are no closer to a decision. In the mean time moths have eaten all the flags.

Monica - yes I suppose it does.

7:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

going to have to learn by heart frequencies, battery lives, codewords, callsigns and a whole host of other things that are about as interesting as they sound.
Maybe i should be worried but this sounds fairly interesting to me. Better than blowing shit up anyway.

6:13 pm  
Blogger fineartist said...

Suffering in the classroom, sounds like a teacher in-service to me. I usually force myself to sit on the front row at in-service meetings with the hopes that if I sit on the front row I will be forced to attend.

So, I sit there and nod my head at all the appropriate times, smile and make up my grocery list, or plan my funeral. That is unless the topic is of interest to me. Sounds like you are doomed. Haha,

11:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs