META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Friday, September 16, 2005

What's Brown And Doesn't Jingle..........?


The answer had been me. The 'What's brown and doesn't jingle?' joke is a jibe at those without a medal. I'd passed the 30 day qualification for the General Service Medal (bar Northern Ireland) months ago but the usual efficiency of the army had delayed its' arrival.

Was it pinned on me by some high ranking officer as crowds of very grateful young ladies watched on? Where there speeches about all the fine work I had done to deserve such an honour? Did I march off with brass bands playing, my new adornment bouncing slightly on my chest?

No.

I went to the Quartermaster's department and signed for a small cardboard package. Not quite what I'd had in mind but it was quite a pretty little medal. It even had my name engraved around the edge which was nice.

6 Comments:

Blogger Doris said...

That's nice if it was engraved. At least that is something special.

5:10 pm  
Blogger DC said...

By the way for anyone quite new to the blog this all took place quite some time ago. Since then I've racked up a whole host of medals that I did nothing to deserve but more about that in good time!

5:37 pm  
Blogger The Ayatollah Of RocknRolla said...

The commendations are all deserved.

7:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes pomp and ceremony are over-rated anyway.

11:58 pm  
Blogger "ME" Liz Strauss said...

c
Congratulations. It's sad how we humans can so easily become detached from things we do everyday, whether it's honoring our fighting heroes or delivering babies. :(

Still I have to know. Did you keep the box that the box came in?

smiles,
me-Liz, someone Zilla, fineart, and Cherly occasionally like to harass :)

4:13 pm  
Blogger DC said...

me-Liz/Strauss - you know I do still have the box. I'm a terrible hoarder and can't bear to throw anything like that out. The box itself was quite nice with an embossed crown on it.

5:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs