META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Saturday, September 17, 2005

You're My Best Mate Ever

Everyday my 5 year old son comes home from school he talks about his new best friend. Friendships in the army often carry on in a similiar vein.

Born out of shared hardships, shared laughter and often shared living space friendships can become almost intense very quickly.

If you are single and living in the block you will often spend almost every waking moment with the same small group of people - eating together, working together and socializing together. On exercise and operations the situation is exaggerated still further and even if someone does seek solitude it is almost impossible to find. It's not hard to see how these friendships build up.

What is perhaps surprising, but then again maybe not, is how easily they can disperse. A soldier moves platoon or company and all of a sudden he has another ready made group of friends - the old friends don't entirely fall by the wayside but he has new 'best mates'.

So there you go we're a bunch of 5 year olds really.

P.S For a description of how all this can go over the top the ARRSEPedia has a very good entry on the time honoured tradition of 'bezzering'.

8 Comments:

Blogger Monkey said...

Five year olds are amazing. So are six year olds.

1:57 am  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Can you tell us a little something about the images you post here? Very nice.

1:38 pm  
Blogger DC said...

Monkey - my little trooper will be doing well to reach 6 the way he behaves.

'Zilla - the images are photos that I alter on my PC to look the way I want them to. If only I could draw them myself in the first place :(

2:35 pm  
Blogger *Monica said...

I have one best "mate" that I have had since I was 12. Having somebody that has known you for twenty years and through your geeky teens is the way to go.

3:48 pm  
Blogger Pipi Longstockings said...

My friends are monkeys, puppies & acrobats...i dont get out much

4:10 pm  
Blogger Cheryl said...

LOVE the definition of bezzering - that one's going straight into my vocabulary.
Nice post :-D

6:29 pm  
Blogger fineartist said...

Bezzering may very well be induced by consuming copious amounts of beer, in my experience though, the spirit tequila proved to be inspirational.

The last time my man drank his fill of tequila he proclaimed his undying love to his best friend. With best friends head locked in a vise like grip in the crook of my man’s arm, best friend could do nothing but take it, like a man. What really made the rest of us laugh with wild abandon, was when best friend told my man that he “loved HIM so much, if he were a girl, why, he’d marry him.” He couldn’t be outdone, now could he?

Neither one of them have drank tequila since. Thank God.

7:34 pm  
Blogger DC said...

Oh so true Fine Artist:

One tequila
Two tequila
Three tequila
Floor.

7:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs