META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Saturday, October 22, 2005

A Bad Day At The Office


"Load."

As I pushed the magazine into my rifle an ice cold drop of rain left my helmet and deposited itself down my neck. So far it hadn't been a good day.

Already I'd had to endure the "concurrent activity" while I'd waited to fire. It had been a lesson on "Why things are seen" - something we all knew and had all heard many times before. For those of you who are interested it's - shape, shine, silhouette, shadow, spacing and sudden movement - or the 6 S's. Interesting stuff I'm sure you'll agree.

As we'd gone to load our magazines the rain had increased - it was now up to a steady downpour.

"Prone position down."

As I began to lie down I took a quick look. As I suspected there was a small puddle awaiting me. The cold water took little time to announce its' presence as I lay down.

"Targets to your front watch out."

I pulled the rifle into my shoulder and looked through the sight. I could barely see the 300 metres to where the target was going to appear. And then my sight steamed up.

Things were not going well at the office.

4 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Definitely not going well.

Being a keen observer of life, I find that quite interesting, the 6 S's, why things are seen. Have you done a post about it?

3:54 am  
Blogger DC said...

Guyana-Gyal - no, not yet - I'll add it to the list ;)

6:21 am  
Blogger *Monica said...

I hope there were warm blankets at some point. Poor soldier!

8:29 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

Yeuch! Maybe you should think about asking for a new office.

12:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs