META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Soundtrack To Our Lives

"....We had three million sides of old blind horses hides
We had four million barrels of bones..........."

Certain songs trigger certain memories for me. The soundtrack to a piece of my life. Any time I hear The Pogues I'm taken back to my room in Northern Ireland.

The NAAFI bar has shut. There's no work tomorrow. We're having a bit of a party. There are around fifteen of us crowded into our four man room. We're sat around on beds or the floor drinking warm Harp lager from the tin. There's a warm fug of cigarette smoke mixed with a little Chinese takeaway and the faint hint of too much aftershave. One of the lads is doing his best Michael Flateley impression - totally out of time to the music but it's a good effort anyrate. Someone turns the volume up too high and the speakers jump themselves from the shelf and come crashing down on the floor.

There's a change of tune and suddenly it's another favourite - The Cranberries and 'Zombie'. Our selection of late night music is somewhat limited but no one cares.

It's odd how a song can take you back through the years. So all together now.........

"I could have been someone..................."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think everybody is the same we all have certain songs that bring us back to our younger days. One song for me would be High Ho Silver it was in a programme called Boon. My dad would put it on the sterio and it was on LP so that tells you how old it was. And we would all sit in the kitchen with him and sing it so loud i'm sure our neighbours could hear it. They were the good old times.

6:55 pm  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

And those songs sometimes make me wish I could be back in those days too, living in those times again.

And I often wonder, if, in the future, when we're old and listening to songs of today, if we'll wish we were living in today's times again.

1:42 pm  
Blogger *Monica said...

The Cranberries take me back too. Love them.

11:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs