META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

That'll Bring A Smile To Your Face


Back to the memoir.

After a week of putting up masts, tuning in radios, laying wire, coding messages, decoding messages and generally doing lots of signalling we finally heard the word we were waiting for.

It is a word that will almost always bring a smile to the face of any squaddie who hears it. And that word is.......

"ENDEX"

A word that signals an imminent return to normality. You will no longer have to go everywhere with webbing and rifle. You will no longer have to shield lights at night. You know you will get a good nights sleep and in the not too distant future some decent food and a pint. Soon you will be able to sleep in a proper bed and take a hot shower.

Exercises can be fun. Finishing them is great.

4 Comments:

Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Sir!

I wanted to let you know I have finally gotten around to placing a link for your blog onto my own site. It has been something I had been planning to do for a few months now, but had not gotten around to adjusting the html.

I was wondering if in these days there are many pipe smokers who serve in Her Majesty's Army or is it an unfortunately forgotten art even in your parts these days?

Thank you for your writings, sir.

PipeTobacco

10:02 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

Yes, thanks for all this, I find it fascinating - a way of life (or trade, if you will) so different from my own. My only contact with the military business was to attend a week-long selection course in - I think - Westbury, Wiltshire. But it turned out that the business was not for me (or more accurately, they turned me down - in retrospect, one of the best decisions the military ever made). But that was long ago and in another country, and besides...

6:05 am  
Blogger H said...

Is that Tom Cruise's mouth?

5:17 am  
Blogger *Monica said...

That sounds like the same feeling I get when my parents take the kids for the weekend!

6:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs