META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Thursday, November 10, 2005

I Just Can't Get You Out Of My Head

After the hill the march settled down into a tedious slog. The straps of my bergan were digging into my shoulders and aches and pains became more pronounced the further we went. Every few miles we'd drop to the ground and take on some water as those in charge decided which way next.

On this sort of move individuals are spread out - a few metres between each man - in a real conflict this is to reduce casualties if a shell lands near you. The spacing reduced conversation to a minimum.

As the half miles turned into miles and the miles turned into more miles the mind begins to wander. At first the scenery was enough to absorb me and take my mind off the slog. After a while however this ran its course and my mind looked elsewhere.

At any point in time there are some really annoying songs around. Now I can't remember the annoying song that was around at the time of our little trip to Scotland.

I do remember that once it got into my head it wouldn't leave. I didn't even know many of the words. Just one annoying chorus over and over again. I tried to think of other music - straining to remember the lyrics. It was no use.

In the end I don't know what was worse, the long slow physical task - one foot in front of the other - or the long slow mental one - one chorus after another.

2 Comments:

Blogger *Monica said...

dang I HATE getting the song I hate the most stuck in my head. And just avoid my blog on thursdays and you should be safe. Send my apologies to Mrs. Soldier.

8:38 pm  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Like a fly buzzing around one's face, and the hands are busy and can't chase the fly.

1:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs