META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

My Rifle, My Admin, Myself

The night had passed without incident. Me and the boss had split the radio stag so we each got a decent amount of sleep. As daylight approached the platoon stood-to - a time honoured tradition of making sure the 'enemy' doesn't conduct a sneaky attack at sunrise or sunset.

After the traditional 30 minutes or so was up we moved into morning routine. One of the things about being on exercise or operations is that so much becomes timetabled - there is very little time to yourself. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

My morning routine went something like this:

Strip rifle, clean rifle, oil rifle, put rifle back together again.

Wash (baby wipes in all the right places is about as elegant as it gets), shave (a few drops of lukewarm water in the bottom of a mess-tin), powder feet and change socks (you can't believe how good a fresh pair of socks with some talc in them feels).

Then I covered the radio while the boss peformed the same routine as me.

Finally it was scoff time. Bacon and beans was on the menu - never could stand that so it was chocolate porridge for me. Bliss.

My weapon, my admin, myself - it might sound harsh but it makes the "myself" part so much better.

10 Comments:

Blogger JonnyB said...

Basically you're saying I should wait for half an hour or so after sunrise before I attack you?

Surely you're not allowed to give out this classified information?

7:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My new "student" morning routine. Get up, have a wee, make tea, watch telly, check email, watch more telly, have lunch, think about doing work, read a book, have a bath, feel guilty, go to the pub.

Thankfully I actually work two and a half days so this keeps me on the straight and narrow

8:28 pm  
Blogger *Monica said...

Fresh socks are indeed sublime.

9:13 pm  
Blogger DC said...

jonnyb - I've told you - now I have to kill you mwhahahahah.....

laura - harsh, very harsh ;)

monica - can't beat them.

6:27 am  
Blogger David said...

Don't they still stay 'CHARGE'! when they attack?

12:59 pm  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Mmmm. I'll trade you some brand new socks for bacon and beans! Just stopping in to say hello and invite you to join our secret Santa game. Guess I can't leave a link here, so if you have time, check out my 14/11 post, "Just a Couple Few Things" and skip to the bottom. Cheryl would like someone on your side of the Big Pond with whom to participate -- but no pressure!

2:57 pm  
Blogger DC said...

Greavsie - can't say I've heard a "Charge" - maybe it's more of a cavalry thing.

6:07 pm  
Blogger DC said...

MJ - I'm not even sure if blogging off duty is an offence these days.

6:33 pm  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

CHOCOLATE porridge?!? :-0

8:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apropos rifle-cleaning, may I recommend Reed's poem 'Naming of Parts' ?

http://www.savory.de/reed.htm

7:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs