META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Friday, November 25, 2005

'Tis The Season To Be Jolly

The exercise over we caught the ferry back to Northern Ireland. When we arrived back Christmas preparations were in full swing.

"A bit early." I hear you asking.

Well most of the Battalion were going home on leave for some of the Christmas period so to make sure we all celebrated together Christmas was coming early.

This was going to be my first Christmas away from home and to perfectly honest I was quite looking forward to it. Ok - unless Mum had let Father Christmas know where I was posted then I probably wasn't going to get a stocking this year - but it was going to be different.

Our first free day after the exercise we went and bought the cheapest, tackiest Christmas lights that we could find. The sort that flash that fast that they should carry an epilepsy warning on them. We bought a Christmas tree - well a 6 inch plastic thing that vaguely looked tree shaped if you'd had enough to drink.

With a bit of Slade on the hi-fi, a cold beer in one hand and some lights going mental on our sort-of-tree it felt like Christmas already.

And it wasn't even December.

6 Comments:

Blogger Moby said...

hehehe... Brilliant.

Sounds like my ideal Cristmas bash.

4:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best Christmas's ever were working on the children's ward. We were all on duty all day and the most important thing was to keep all the children happy. The happiness rubbed off and it makes me almost weepy thinking about it. I'm sure you felt the same camaraderie

5:04 pm  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

My grandma once said that Christmas is everyday.

I like the 6 inch Christmas tree and tacky lights :-D

5:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it doesn't matter where you are as long as your with friends at Christmas because the day is what you make it. By the sounds of it you were having a good time.

7:39 am  
Blogger DC said...

Pat - definitely - I'll get to Christmas day in a bit - this is just the warm up!

7:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does indeed sound quite lovely

I will be getting my very first christmas tree in my flat this year. I've not done it before because mum and dad always do their house up. But i though why not? Be nice to have the xmas decorations more than just for xmas day.

11:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs