META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah


I don't know if 'waahing' people is purely an army thing or not but I was 'waahed' at work the other day so I thought I'd mention it.

The basic concept of the 'Waah' is to get someone to answer a question that is so blatantly obvious that nobody should be asking it.

Hmmm - that wasn't very clear. Maybe an example will clear it up. The scene - walking through Parliament Square in London.

A - "I wonder if Big Ben is near here."

B - "It's just there."

A - "Waaaaah."

Or.

A - "Have you noticed how many English towns are named after cheeses?"

B - "It's the other way around."

A - "Waaaaah."

Hmmm. I'm going to give up there. Having just re-read that it's not funny in the slightest. Unlike reality when it's absolutely hilarious.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually it is funny. Royal is fond of telling me how once you get the green beret, you're allowed to be a kid forever. I've heard them do things like that to each other, crazy kids.

6:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homer your Dad must come from my planet.

10:31 pm  
Blogger Laura(southernxyl) said...

It is funny.

I'm afraid that sometimes I'm so absent-minded (or maybe dense is the word) that sometimes I would be seriously asking and I wouldn't get an answer b/c my friends would think I was waiting to "waaah" them.

2:48 am  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Au contraire -- quite funny. It's just funnier in the moment than it is described. Still, I hadn't heard your exxamples before now, so they were funny!eq

3:13 am  
Blogger DC said...

Homer - now that would definitely have been a Waah question in my book.

Laura - that's what can happen if Waahing gets out of hand. No one will answer any question because they suspect it might be a Waah.

6:59 am  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Well, it got a laff out of me!

"Whaaaa" here usually is "What?" when someone calls you.

You don't say 'What?" or "Yes?" You yell, "Whaaa?"

11:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of those "You had to be there jokes".

Picture me, wide-eyed and 16 years old, Canadian teen visiting London on her own. Looking - I was a tourist after all - for St Paul's. Can't find it. Approach police officer - hey! they wear those funny pith helmets, just like on television!! - who takes me gently by the shoulders, turns me around, and points up.

"There, love." (Wow! They say "love", just like on television!!) "It's right there." Half a block away. To his credit, he didn't laugh - at least till I was out of earshot.

1:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs