META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Leaving On A Jet Plane II

The wheels touched down with a more than average jolt.

The RAF might be fantastic at pin-point bombing and nap-of-the-earth flying but Virgin Airlines didn't have much to worry about.

Even the sandwich box served by a surly member of the cabin crew hadn't been up to the usual RAF standards. The sandwiches were stale and the crisps were of the 'Aldi wouldn't touch these with a barge pole' variety.

In fact you could have been forgiven for thinking for a moment or two that it was an army sandwich box.

Until of course you realised that they had at least defrosted the sausage roll.

But now the flight was over.

We'd landed in a foreign country. It was going to be home for the next 5 years.

And I didn't speak a word of German.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My German is mostly gleaned from Sven Hassel comic books. Gott im Himmel! Die, English Pigdog! Schnell!...and others....

7:09 pm  
Blogger Katy Newton said...

Don't worry, they all speak English. I hope you're posted in Gutersloh, it's easily the prettiest. (Spot the civilian.)

10:10 pm  
Blogger fjl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:19 pm  
Blogger Alucard said...

Just remember "ich bin ein Berliner" and you'll do fine ;)

2:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I would think that might be just a tad bit crazy - glad you made it through!
And the girl? ;o)

5:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND congratulations on your milbloggie win!!

6:14 am  
Blogger Moby said...

"Mein fater ist eine kuggleschriber unt meine bruder ist einr bleishtift"

I cannot remember how to spell any of that correctly. But out of all the German I learnt at school, that's pretty much what I remember.

But I imagine your German is top notch now Universal...

Ditto the congrats on milbloggies.

9:33 am  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Me too, like Mr. Wibble, I know German from Commando comics.

8:58 pm  
Blogger Shyha said...

plark: the German youth were your teachers? ;)
I don't know german either but the part of Poland where I live has strong german influences and even our language has some German words. I could translate this sentence :) but I don't know if you want me to do so ;]

10:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did it make it even harder leaving TGWRH going to a foreign country? Belated Happy Healthy 2006

10:44 am  
Blogger DC said...

Mr Wibble - from personal experience I can tell you that "Achtung Achtung" doesn't go down to well in the average German boozer.

Katy - yup we found that out. Did you used to live over there? We've been back in Blighty for a few years now.

FJL - I learnt a little McGerman but I'll get to that in a bit! After 5 years I spoke better Serbo-Croat than German.

Jason - always handy when impersonating a donut.

Kath - it was really nice living over there actually.

Plark/Shya - dying to hear a translation.

Pat - thanks. It wasn't easy - I didn't even own a mobile phone at the time!

6:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs