META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Thursday, February 23, 2006

BIG


BATUS is a big place.

I have no idea how many square miles or kilometres it is but it just feels big.

The rolling grassy prairie seems to go on for ever with nothing to stop it.

I wouldn't exactly say I was scared by how big it was. I don't know it's hard to describe.

The first night we went out onto the training area we weren't really on exercise. We weren't pretending to be at war - we were just sleeping out.

There wasn't a cloud in the sky and there was none of the light pollution that we suffer from in this country.

The sky was, to put it mildly - f**king massive.

In one of the Hitchiker;s Guide To The Galaxy books Douglas Adams wrote about an infinity machine designed to crush any man's ego by making him realise how totally insignificant he was in the grand scheme of things.

That night I knew what he was talking about.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love going out to the country and seeing how vast the sky is, and the area around. Somehow makes me feel at home.

You get that feeling a lot in Texas, as big as it is.

10:56 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

I felt the air in Canada was the freshest I had ever breathed and was enthralled to see a totally clear view of the mountain on the road going west to Vancouver. Is it Whistler? It's three times the height of Ben Nevis and was fantastic.

11:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: were you driving around in circles?
Did the officer have the map?

7:46 am  
Blogger Katy Newton said...

I got that feeling on the Trans-Canada Highway, or whatever it's called. Ahead: road, prairie, sky. Behind: road, prairie, sky. Left: prairie, sky. Right: prairie, sky. It's fab.

8:54 am  
Blogger The Ayatollah Of RocknRolla said...

Wonderfully written post mate

1:05 am  
Blogger savante said...

What planet is that! The vastness and the loneliness would slowly drive me insane :) I'm a city kid and I need the smog and the yelling people.

paul

8:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The night sky can be really pretty. That is, until someone forgets to look where they are going and walks into a tree...

4:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs