META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Grenade!

There's a certain technique to clearing a trench system of the enemy. BATUS was one of the few places that had a trench system safe enough for us to practice doing this with live ammunition.

I suspect this means that it wouldn't actually be regarded as safe to do it for real.

I was the fourth in line as we edged our way down the trench. We got to a corner. The No.1 pulled the pin on his grenade and lobbed it round the corner.

The explosion when it came was not the stuff of Hollywood. A dull thud and a bit of smoke was all we were treated to.

The Safety staff were stood up at ground level watching our progress.

"Speed. Speed. You've got to be faster than that.............."

The No.2 leant round the corner and emptied a full magazine on automatic into the trench. Then he dropped to the floor and the rest of us ran over him to the next corner.

The next corner bent to the right. The No.3 pulled the pin on his grenade.

Hands up here who's any good at the throwing with their left hand?

No I didn't think so.

The No.3 wasn't either.

The grenade ended up outside the trench.

The safety staff ended up inside the trench.

Very quickly.

My how we laughed.

For those who want to know the proper way of doing it there's a few pointers here - you know just in case you ever find yourself needing to chuck a hand grenade.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know just in case you ever find yourself needing to chuck a hand grenade

be careful - that might be considered 'incitement to violence' :)

2:06 pm  
Blogger DC said...

Z - will you visit me in jail?

4:45 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

I'm just as good at throwing with my left as with my right ie rubbish! What a tantalising photo but I'm guessing you are a bonny wee laddie. By the way, forgive me, but you and the missus have been tagged.

6:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt it. I might have some police squad follow me back home and accidentally shoot me. ;)

6:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new banner and blurry photo!

You can't be using proper grenades. EVERYONE knows that REAL grenades go (imagine font three times larger) BANG!!!, and there's loads of smoke and flames and dirt raining down on everyone. Movies don't lie, US.

5:01 am  
Blogger David said...

Don't you shout "Die Tommie" or something too?

9:03 am  
Blogger DC said...

Jamie - in the movies you don't have to shout bang when there is a shortage of ammo either.

Greavsie - "Die Tommie" - should I be calling you Herr Greavsie?

5:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I remember when I was doing my training. We were standing in a trench and throwing the nade over the top toways a standard mark 1 target.. The instructor held onto the back of me to force me down after the throw. I seem to remember the nade being alot heavier & more awkward to throw then I thought it would be...Suffice to say my girlie throw only tickled the target. Still have the ring pull on my key ring...10 years later..

Now firing a live LAW94 was a different kettle of fish..

8:15 pm  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

the army should get those fast bowlers to do that for them :-D

7:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs