META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Operation Cygnet

Home for 24 hours on an Operation Cygnet (i.e I'm on a small swan). It's nice to be warm again - you have no idea how good a proper bed feels after sleeping in a hole in the ground for a bit.

While I was away FrazzledSister asked if there was a way of sending care packages to random British soldiers in Iraq. It's true that there isn't an organisation specifically set up to send packages to soldiers although general welfare support out in theatre is good.

If anyone does want to send a package there are a couple of ways that it could be done although they need a bit of background work. Firstly you could try to contact the rear-parties of units which are deployed in Iraq. All units leave a small group of people behind to look after families and the camp, etc.

7 Armoured Brigade currently provide most of the British manpower serving in Iraq. Every garrison has a HIVE information centre and they may be able to put you in contact with the rear parties of units serving in Iraq. Their email addresses are:

hohne@hive-bfg.co.uk
hive.hohne@bfgnet.de

Alternatively you could contact the unit's Regimental headquarters in this country who may be able to help. Here are a couple of their email addresses but you should be able to find more with a bit of Googling:

Scots Dragoon Guards: homehq@scotsdg.org.uk
Royal Regiment of Fusiliers: rhq@thefusiliers.org

A final possibility would be to send a parcel to a soldier who is recovering from his/her wounds in this country. All soldiers are now initially treated at the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine at Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham. The address is:

Selly Oak Hospital, Raddlebarn Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 6JD; Telephone: 0121 627 1627

I don't know if they would accept random parcels so it would be worth contacting them first.

Hope that helped!

Off to have some proper food before I return to the fray. Back soon.

11 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

What a good boy you are to take time from your precious 24 hours to give info to help people.
Motherly hugs.

11:50 am  
Blogger zoe said...

make the most of your time :)

12:27 pm  
Blogger The Ayatollah Of RocknRolla said...

Enjoy the respite mate.

By the way Universal thanks for the excellent post containing contacts for random parcels. I remember sending stuff through to my mates in the Falklands (they were there I wasn't) and they appreciated every single parcel but probably not my bloody awful 'blue sheet' (BFPO letter envelopes you'll know them) scribbled jokes!

12:50 pm  
Blogger Katy Newton said...

US, you're back!

*organises parade*

I was not ignoring your comments, by the way - I was in France on Operation Booze Cruise...

7:48 pm  
Blogger gonorr said...

parcels away.

nice one mush, roll on endex.

8:49 pm  
Blogger DC said...

PI/Zoe - ta.

Haggiswurst - yet to receive an unwanted item of mail.

Katy - hope the resupply went well.

Gonorr - cheers - Endex is my favourite word in the English language at the minute.

8:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the instable ENDEX reactor...

I quote from http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~rxb105/prs163.pdf :

"Here we describe the Endex reactor, a novel scheme for thermal control of poten-
tially runaway reactions."

So ENDEX is a potential runaway due to thermal problems ;-)

5:39 am  
Blogger Brom said...

I know how much I miss my bed after a week in hotels, after a week "in a hole in the ground" it must have been total bliss.

Enjoy.

11:14 am  
Blogger savante said...

Enjoy your break!

paul

1:21 pm  
Blogger Frazzledsister said...

Thanks alot for the info! I was planning on sending some boxes before I learned what the overseas mail rate is... (*0*)

8:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Permission to post? I just happened upon your site through Milblogs. As I haven't read all your entries I'm not sure if you're deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. Anyway, here in the U.S. we have an organization called Soldiers' Angels that some folks might be interested in. The address is http://www.soldiersangels.org
I'm a member myself. Whether or not we have British soldiers for 'adoption' or not, I'm not sure, but I've just put in an inquiry. (If we don't, we certainly should!)
Another area folks might like to look into is http://www.anysoldier.com
I hope this information will be helpful.
Lastly, no matter where you're serving, I thank you and all the good British people who support us in the war on terror. GSTQ!

2:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs