META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Night Train To Poland

We'd spent nearly 48 hours loading the vehicles onto the train. The vehicle loading area was an cobbled hard standing. I still don't know if it is true or not but allegedly the stones had been laid by Jewish concentration camp victims in the Second World War. Certainly the sidings the army used for its vehicles at Bergen Hohne were the same used to unload Jews at that concentration camp.

Finally we got into the carriage we were to travel to Poland in. No one had told us it was going to be a sleeper carriage. I felt very 'Orient Express' at the time.

I felt much less 'Orient Express' after having been fed self-heating bacon and bean canned meals and spending the night in a sleeper carriage with 5 other squaddies.

The smell was.....ermm.....indescribable.

10 Comments:

Blogger SL said...

I'd suggest a canary, but frankly, that would only get the RSPCA involved I reckon.

I've finally figured out what it is you do to your pics. Great fun, isn't it. Going to be experimenting with it myself. So thanks for introducing me to that. :o)

6:56 pm  
Blogger Katy Newton said...

Tragically, men are smelly in the morning. No one seems to have come up with a workable solution to this problem yet.

7:04 pm  
Blogger DC said...

SL - sssshhh - or everyone will be doing it. Some people still think I can draw.

Katy - open the windows wide.

7:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose they told you you were just going on a little trip to Butlitz, did they...?

9:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sleeper carriage? Really?

10:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Self-heating bacon?

Tell me more US, this could be the perfect post-pub delicacy...

2:22 pm  
Blogger Foilwoman said...

Let me just say, ewww. Men have many attractive features, but I can't think of being in a small space with a bunch of guys with bean-related gas. Maybe they need some Beano? I've heard that works. I hope the compartment had windows (or did you say it didn't)?

3:40 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

That army of yours is incredibly ingenious; self-heating bacon and beans indeed! But if they can invent self-heating for such things, why can't they disinvent (as it were) the consequences? Or do they see this merely as another weapon to add to the (if you'll forgive me) arsenal?

3:59 pm  
Blogger DC said...

The Blonde - it really wasn't as salubrious as it sounds.

Mr Angry/Nick - they were a commerical product with the imaginative name - 'Hot Cans' - you pierced an outer tin and something inside reacted with oxygen to warm the food in the inner tin. Well that was the theory at any rate.

Foilwoman - it would probably be consdiered a 'cruel and unusual punishment' and the US constitution!

5:48 pm  
Blogger Earth Girl said...

I think i know that smell, It's probably the same as the one you get when sharing a dorm room with 5 male backpackers.

5:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs