META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Thursday, April 20, 2006

What Goes Up Must Come Down

After the physical effort of skiing uphill and digging the snow hole I'd expected to get cold very quickly once we got inside.

I was pleasantly surprised by the effect lighting a candle had. Such a small flame rapidly warmed the snow hole enough that we were soon stripping off to our base layers.

I was even more pleasantly surprised when the instructor announced that the weather forecast for the night meant we wouldn't be staying overnight.

I'd like to say that we returned to the ski lodge, and a cold stein of Bavarian lager, in style - skiing the deep virgin powder snow to perfection.

Unfortunately describing our descent as 'skiing' would have been something of a lie - 'semi-controlled falling' would have been more apt.

Bloody good fun though.

And the beer went down well.

10 Comments:

Blogger Theblonde said...

Me first, me first, No mention of the fact that body heat shared makes all the difference in a hole with drips all around....
The time I went skiing was a part of a bunch of 25 skydivers, bloody nutters, the lot of 'em. 'No fear' being a prerequisite...

6:27 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

What a fantastic experience. I'll bet your cheeks were glowing.

6:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it weird how beer tastes so much better when you've thrown yourself down the side of mountain first.

7:10 pm  
Blogger DC said...

The Blonde - yes I thought I'd stay away from the 'sharing' body heat thing.

PI - oh yes - especially after the first couple of beers.

Mr A - a truer word was never said.

7:32 pm  
Blogger tideliar said...

The beer is best left till the bottom of the mountain. I broke my bloody knee 1000feet up a mountainside on the "last run" of the day after one too many pints and an unlucky patch of ice conspired against me. Getting down was challenging...

8:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never done any skiing, but it sounds like fun. I don't get cold - I'm generally the one wandering around in a t-shirt in Scotland in December. Only problem is I get too warm...

12:17 am  
Blogger The Boy said...

You on telemark or downhill bindings? One's good for going down, the other for going up.

Tedeliar, definately at the bottom, definately. Got the scars on one wrist to back up your knee...

9:27 am  
Blogger David said...

Not quite the men in black who ski after James Bond then?

Who started this dripping hole stuff?

10:14 am  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Went sledging once on a piece of hardboard. No control at all n very fast. Knocked over anythin' in me path includin' me grandad n ended up in a pond. Was it anythin' like that? Didn't get any beer though. Only 8 at the time.

11:16 am  
Blogger Geoff said...

great drawings!

1:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs