META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Saturday, June 10, 2006

You Can Take Your Latte and.....

Bosnian's don't do skinny lattes or caramel frapuccinos. Coffee drinking in the Balkans is almost a feat of strength. Although they'll be more than impressed if you can hold your booze they'll be even more impressed if you can drink your coffee.

When I was out there if you were given a coffee it came in an espresso sized cups although it made a Starbucks espresso look like a decaf cup of water.

At least half of the cup was filled with coffee grounds and you had to drink it through closed teeth. This stuff put hairs on your chest.

My record was five cups in an hour. I didn't sleep for two days afterwards.*

I still miss it now though.

* - Well ok a slight exageration.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose Bosnian women shave quite regularly then?

10:48 am  
Blogger DC said...

They do while they are still under 30 and quite beautiful. After that most of them seem to stop.

10:53 am  
Blogger Katy Newton said...

I was wondering if I might have seen you at the Colonel's Review this morning, US, but I suppose you can neither confirm nor deny...

4:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a guy that drinks on average about 10-15 a day. I'm not sure how he stays so calm...

5:52 pm  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

6 mugs a day at work. 8 mugs on nights. Don't think I'd dare drink that though. I shake enough on what I do drink.

11:15 pm  
Blogger DC said...

Katy - no I can definitely confirm that (1) I can't march to save my life and (2) I was getting on one in anticipation of the football.

Kath - I drink about 12 cups of tea a day but it's not nearly the same.

Widescreenboy - used to drink tea with that stuff when I was mountaineering - lovely!

Fourdinners - I know what you mean about nights - when you come off in the morning feeling a bit wired from too much caffeine.

9:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once ate (cuz it's impossible to drink) a whole tin of condensed milk alone. It made me sick, but god it was yummy.

2:58 pm  
Blogger Merys said...

that stuff sounds awfully like the stuff my good father insists on making on the barbecue in summer. Strong coffee with the aroma of burning pine cones!

3:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After we got a new espresso maker in the office me and lad near me had a competition to see who could have the most cups in a morning. I did 9 and was crawling up the walls. I also had my most productive morning ever...

He got to 10 and seemed fine, very strange...

10:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs