META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Answers - #1

The Boy asked:

"From the outside, what looks like the hardest thing about army life is the time away from family. Is that true, and if not, what do you find most difficult about the army life?"

This is a really tricky one. When I first joined up the time away was a major attraction, but of course at the time I was young(ish) free and single. In many ways, yes, the time away these days is the hardest thing - probably more so for the family than for me as whenever I'm away I have friends with me. But yes it's hard breaking your kids hearts on a regular basis.

Other things I find hard:

  1. Never really being able to put down roots - again something that was an attraction 12 years ago has now become a negative point.
  2. Having a very green 2Lt fresh from training telling you to do something which you know is particularly stupid and them not listening to a word you have to say - although I assume that applies to most jobs in one form or another.
Keep the questions coming!

7 Comments:

Blogger The Boy said...

Most of my life I was fairly rootless. As a child it didn't bother me much, as I was rootless with my family. As a young man, like you, that was part of the game. Now though, I've been in the same place 10 years and I wouldn't have it any different. That's got to be hard.

The 2Lt scenario exists in all walks of life, though I think is a bit more prevalent in the Army. Still, regardless of age, taking orders you know are wrong is always hard.

6:52 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

Would you, with all your experience and knowledge, encourage your son to follow an army career?

11:52 am  
Blogger savante said...

Ouch. I guess there are some sacrifices to be made.

Paul

7:14 am  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Little Caz was about to join up when she met me. She'd have made a good RSM!

11:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the army, do you come across many people who have simply had enough of the civilian job market and what it has to offer? Is there discrimination for people who sign up "later" in their lives?

6:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ToastedEggBanjo,

Cheers for the response. I'll be 26 when the time comes to make the decision. Never gave the military much thought until recently. Looks by far the best option available now though.

5:56 pm  
Blogger DC said...

RandomGuy - sorry to take so long to get back. I agree with what eggbanjo says. I was early twenties when I joined and a 3-4 years older than the average. If anything you'll find it easier purely because you will be a bit more mature. What are you considering joining?

7:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs