META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Answers - #3

The Blonde asked:

How do you feel about the professionalism of the British army in comparison with other countries armies?


Virtually every where we operate these days we do so as a part of multi-national force. This means we get plenty of opportunity to see what other armies are like.

Are we the best?

I suppose it depends how you measure things. We certainly don't have the best kit and we are small in numbers.

I know I'm biaised but man for man I would still rate us as the best army in the world. As for the rest - I'd work with the Canadians anyday; I found the Americans very mixed - some very, very good and some very slack; the Scandanavians nations are always good to work with; the Dutch army certainly have the best looking women (and they wear camouflaged shorts in the summer); and while I hate to say it while I wouldn't want to peacekeep with the French again I'd certainly want to go to war with them.

9 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Just a quickie on the same subject: Gurkhas - in my day they were lauded as the most loyal,most brave mostwonderful of comrades. Any comment?

5:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would you not peacekeep with the French but happily go to war with them?

And would you peacekeep with the Americans - do they understand the concept?

And what is it that makes the Canadians so good? Are they just rugged and reliable?

10:24 pm  
Blogger The Boy said...

Based on friends in the Canadian Forces I'd say their experience mirrors yours. Poor investment in the tools of the train, but broad ranging training.

Curiously in a long running artillery competition between the Canucks and the Yanks, we normally beat the pants off them. Until the last few year though, when the US built a simulator game to match the competition. The Yanks have started winning.

11:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous: Yes, we Americans 'understand the concept' of peacekeeping, we just happen to also understand that this world is not rainbows, butterflies, and holding hands.

Two quotes:
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

5:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Kath, I agree the world the world is not all holding hands, butterflies and rainbows. But you don't have to destroy every butterfly, rainbow or held hand to "save it".

And just so you know, I am one of those rough men ready to do violence on your behalf.

10:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, well I still see all those pretty things in the world, and I see good in the things the U.S. has accomplished in our 230 years. We'll definitely have to agree to disagree!
I'm glad to hear it, I would do the very same for you and yours.

3:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PPS Kath,

Saw your blog. Really like it. Great writing. Hope the wedding goes well

3:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's sweet, thank you. I appreciate the well wishes, I need them - never knew weddings were this crazy :o)

2:36 am  
Blogger DC said...

Anon - the French I found far too aggresive for peacekeeping - caused more problems than they solved.

Americans - very different outlook on things. In Bosnia in the late 90s when we were bimbling around with soft hats and not even all members of a patrol armed they were still going out in armoured vehicles wearing helmets and body armour.

Canadians - just a lot like us.

8:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs