META name="verify-v1" content="i1TVJEv2OOOg+fzf1aEgIJ1srnyAsn3jT1UDDDhjUU4=" />

Monday, July 24, 2006

Answers - #5

Ellie also asked:

"Do you ever rethink your career? Wish you were a corporate whore and not a gun toter? (Grass is always greener, no?)"


Erm - don't we all think 'What if?' sometimes. Financially I actually do ok - about £30K last year and that includes very cheap rent. If I leave at the end of my 22 years I'll also be on a pension of about £15k a year and I'll only be in my early 40s.

But yes, sometimes I hate my job and want to leave - the fact that I have to give a years notice is usually what stops me from doing it.

7 Comments:

Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

A years notice??? Bloody hell! I'd never leave! I'd keep forgetting I'd handed it in after all that time!

12:06 pm  
Blogger The Boy said...

A year's notice exists elsewhere, it is a bit of a pain. The pension at 40 sounds rather good though!

I think Ellie's comment about the grass being greener is too true. Real working life contentment doesn't exist in my experience.

12:11 pm  
Blogger Eugenio Mastroviti said...

If that can make you feel any better, I was just informed by the wife that Italian schoolteachers also have to give a year's notice (she used to be one) - and if you consider the mindless violence, the constant intimidation and prevarication, the bullying and the blooody-minded attitude of the ministry in ALWAYS posting you hundreds if not thousands of km from home, I'd say soldiers by comparison have it pretty easy.

1:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After working for decades in a corporate job, I wan't one where I'm legally allowed to kill people. I've made my list already.
Swap? ;-)

2:24 pm  
Blogger Clarissa said...

A year's notice isn't so bad. I would have thought you were stuck ... and the decision would be the army's.

3:32 am  
Blogger Spaghetti Monster said...

As is the fact that the army will train you for other careers... a relative of mine was helped to set up his own business and helped with general IT skills.

3:04 pm  
Blogger Pat said...

I'm pleased about the pension at forty. Worth sticking it out and then the living will get easy. And then sod's law will have you nostalgic about all you and your pals got up to.

4:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Milblogging.com Top of the British Blogs